Understanding Revelation Knowledge
Revelation knowledge is knowledge that comes into your mind from the Holy Spirit through your born-again spirit. The Holy Spirit uses the light of the life of God to illuminate your mind with this knowledge, confirming that it is from Him using thoughts with a basis in the scripture.
2 Corinthians 4:6(NKJV): 6 For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
The Holy Spirit will never give a revelation contrary to the spirit or mind of God revealed in the scripture.
Isaiah 8:20(NKJV): 20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Sense knowledge is knowledge that comes into your mind through the avenue of your physical senses so it is limited to physical reality.
Revelation knowledge gives you knowledge of spiritual realities and so causes you, as it were, to ‘see’ the invisible (Hebrews 11.27).
So revelation knowledge is the rock on which you build your Christian life and the gates of hell will not be able to prevail against you.
Matthew 16:13-18(NKJV): 13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” 14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Revelation knowledge acts as an anchor for your soul: mind, will and emotions. So that when the ‘winds’ and ‘waves’ (Ephesians 4.14, James 1.6) of adverse circumstances assail your mind with doubt and fear you will remain steadfast in what you believe because spiritual things are real to you by revelation, even if the physical circumstances seem contrary.
Hebrews 6:19(NKJV): 19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil
So it is vital to get revelation knowledge and keep it: because it is possible to lose revelation by the darkening of the heart through hardness or stubbornness of heart:
Ephesians 4:18(NIV): 18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
It is the life of God that gives light that enlightens the understanding.
John 8:12(NKJV): 12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
John 1:3-4(NKJV): 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
The will acts like a trap-door between your spirit and your mind.
The degree to which that will is submitted to God in honesty and humility is the degree to which the light of life can enlighten your mind.
John 7:17(NKJV): 17 If anyone wants to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority.
Proverbs 11:2(NKJV): 2 When pride comes, then comes shame; but with the humble is wisdom.
Saul did not have revelation because of the stubbornness of his heart:
1 Samuel 15:23(NKJV): 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.
1 Samuel 28:15(NKJV): 15 Now Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams.
David had a lot of revelation: he wrote most of the psalms, because of his humble heart that was willing to do all of the will of God:
Acts 13:22(NKJV): 22 And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.‘
How then do we get and keep revelation knowledge?
1. Having and maintaining an honest and humble heart attitude as an act of your will: revelation can be lost if the will: the trap-door between your spirit and mind, gets either partially or fully closed through offence, pride or rebellion, blocking out some or all of the light from your spirit to your mind (Luke 11. 35).
2. Fill your heart with the life of God in sufficient measure as a daily habit.
3. Praying for the spirit of wisdom and revelation (Ephesians 1.17-23, Philippians 1. 9, Colossians 1.9-11) using the Pauline prayers as a daily habit.
4. Pray in tongues frequently (1Corintians. 14.5,18) (at least 4 times a day Dt. 6.7, Jsh.1.8, Rom. 8.2) throughout each day to release the mysteries of the wisdom of God from your spirit into your mind (1 Corintians 2.6, 14.2, Proverbs 18.4, 20.5). Also praying with groaning (Romans 8.26, Ephesians 6.18, 1 Timothy 2.1) regularly, as a daily habit (Heb. 5.7), releases a greater volume (John. 7.38 cp John. 4.10,14) of the life of God from your spirit into your mind, giving a greater amount light and so deeper revelation (Psalms 42.7). This is what takes us from the revelation of hidden wisdom (1 Corintians 2.6) in the Holy place to the deeper revelation of hidden manna (Revelation 2.17) in the Most Holy Place through overcoming the veil (Hebrews 10.20) of the sin nature in the flesh through groaning or travail (Galatians 4.19).
5. Do balanced bible reading as a daily habit: this is knowledge in your mind the Holy Spirit will shine light on to give you spiritual understanding. The basis of the written Word, interpreted in the light of God’s love, justice and righteousness (Jeremiah 9.24), through anointed prophetic and apostolic teaching, is what the Holy Spirit uses to give you this understanding and is, as it were, the ‘signature’ of the Holy Spirit that the revelation you are getting is from God and not Satan, who can try to deceive you as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11.14) by misapplying scripture. The degree of your knowledge and understanding of the written Word is the degree to which the Holy Spirit can give you revelation: regular balanced Bible reading is essential for accurate revelation. Sometimes God brings revelation through visions and dreams, but even they must be interpreted in the light of the written Word (Isaiah 8.20, 2 Peter 1.19).